Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 26, 2009

Yesterday was my last day at New Hope Foundation. I had a wonderful time reading books with the preschool aged kids and holding the babies. It was a beautiful day so I also went for a nice bike ride into the little village for some groceries. The kids were eager to read their new books, over and over again. There are some real sharp kids here and I pray they are able to get a good education.

This morning, I spoke for a while with Dr. Joyce Hill, the founder. I haven’t written much about her and… there is so much to be said. She has really challenged my definition of what it means to serve and what it looks like when done wholeheartedly and selflessly. Joyce has a rare condition, the fluid in her brain leaks, causing severe pain when she is upright. She has had constant pain for 2 years now and doctors have been unable to heal her. She is the founder, director and doctor of New Hope Foundation. She inspires me to serve, with all I am, no matter how I ‘feel.’ Please pray for Joyce. She feels so much pain and it can be very discouraging. God is so strong. He can work miracles through any yielded vessel, even when they can only be upright a couple hours a day. 

Joyce mentioned to me that there are 5 children who need, and are strong enough to have, cleft lip & pallet surgery. With New Hope, this costs $650 per child. That covers all transportation costs as well as a nanny to go along and be with the child through the entire process. PFO donations will be used to cover these expenses for all 5 children that you see below. Thanks to all of you who've given and enabled this donation. Here are pictures of two children. Dang an Ran and Hu Jian Lu, who is currently fed through a feeding tube.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment