Sunday, May 24, 2009

May 23, 2009 (P.M.)

It’s 10:30pm in Beijing. A baby was just left at our gate, about an hour ago.

 

He's about 2, has cerebral palsy and I think he can't see. The grandmother left a note in Chinese with just a little information. I went and sat next to him, just he and I sitting there which I thought was odd. His new nanny was nearby. Tears just started FLOWING down my face, for the first time since I’ve been here. I could tell that the three Chinese nannies who were in the room noticed. I imagine they get sort of numb to this after a while, over 800 babies have come through here, but it seemed like my tears sort of woke them up a little and reminded them that it's a little person, who just lost his mom forever. They came and sat around him and … we sort of ‘talked’, pointing to his length and teeth, determining that he’s about 2 years old, and probably blind. The nurse had already checked him out but was not in the room. I can barely say this, but he won't get to stay here forever. It's hard to imagine this little guy's future, and the mom and family tonight. Know matter what, THAT’S HARD. It's difficult to say why they left him. He's well cared for, and well dressed, so it could be because if they keep him they can't have another child who will provide for them later on, meaning even this child would suffer with no one to provide for them. Or, it could be because they can't afford medically to provide for him. It's just hard to say. I've never experienced this before. It sort of makes it all real. 

Please pray for this baby and the family. At least they knew to bring him here. Normally, I read over these entries a couple of times before posting, but I'm going to finish up and go sit with him again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment